Pages

Monday, December 23, 2013

Who is Zach?

Let me start with a little background on myself, I'm a 21 year old college student studying Business and Information Systems at Drexel University. I've always been interested in technology and successfully pieced together my first custom computer when I was 11 years old using parts from retired PC's my dad had laying around. The only thing I was really concerned about though was the video card since I was planing to connect the computer to my TV and watch music videos on it. This was the first time I remember putting together the concept of how all the different components come together to make a computer function.

Even though my dad helped me out I thought I was some pretty hot stuff because no one I knew had a computer connected to their TV and could watch music videos on demand. This was right after Windows XP came out and I don't believe media center pc's had not gained much traction yet. Anyway by making this machine work the way I wanted it to I felt like I could do anything if I took the time to learn how to do it. I quickly learned the power of the internet, specifically peer-to-peer file sharing and started downloading anything and everything. I started with music and amassed a collection of thousands of songs because I thought it was neat. I then moved onto different software suites because I had fun learning how to use them. I remember downloading  the Macromedia suite and going through a tutorial about making a website with Dreamweaver and Flash. At this time in my life I had a lot of free time to spend on this kind of stuff and thought it was way more interesting than what I was learning at school. 

I continued to download and experiment with different things until about 2006 when I started working on a website idea I had which was for an Auction website similar to eBay. At the time I was using eBay pretty often to sell cars for my neighbor who owned a car lot. I figured I could make more money if I cut out the middle man (feeBay) and didn't have to pay to sell my stuff. This was something I really had to sit down and learn about though, I had very little experience with making websites in general but the more I learned the more I felt like I could do it. This was when I became a master at using Google and utilizing the right keywords and search phrases to find exactly what I wanted to know. I only felt limited by the amount of effort and time I was willing to put into it.

A few months and hundreds of hours later I was blasting my new website GozBay.com on every message board and forum relating to eBay power sellers. To my surprise the site caught on rather quickly and before I knew it I was supporting a community with thousands of users who were posting tens of thousands of auctions. Long story short though I was still very inexperienced at the time and decisions like how to manage a dedicated server and how to load balance a server started becoming very difficult and expensive. Before I knew it the site had fallen victim to a SQL injection which corrupted much of the GozBay's data forcing the site to go offline for two weeks. I relaunched a few weeks later but GozBay never fully recovered after that and I lost a good portion of my users. I still have GozBay up and running because it still receives consistent traffic and users continue to  make daily transactions.

So here we are now going on 6 years after GozBay was attacked, I've strayed away from playing with hardware and spend most of my time learning and specializing in web development. I've made some pretty cool websites for others and am currently working as a software developer at eMoney Advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment